Thursday, December 29, 2011

Yesterday I Lied

Yesterday, I lied. Well, not exactly lied but didn't share all the relevant information. I was told that is a lie by omission. So that is what I did.

My father-in-law, my daughter Kaylee and I were flying back home to Florida after visiting my family for the Christmas holiday and we were in the airport. As we walked to the gate, I ran into someone I had worked with many, many years ago and his wife.

They were grabbing dinner and we were going to our gate. Turns out, they were on the same flight we were so we said we would catch up later. In the brief moments that we chatted, I learned that they are expecting their first child and I told them Kaylee was going to be three at the end of the week.

Kaylee went up to the wife and said, "Come." She grabbed her hand and started to walk. They both laughed and remarked on how sweet she was. We parted ways and didn't catch up until baggage claim in Orlando.

They came over while an exhausted Kaylee was laying with her head on my lap. They ask how she was doing and this is when I pretended to be a "normal" parent with a "typical" child. I told them how Kaylee is always happy and brings smiles to the faces of everyone she meets, how she did awesome on the flight and didn't fuss or cry and how she loves to swim.

What I didn't tell them is that she has a genetic disorder, Prader-Willi Syndrome. Nor did I tell them how much work my sweet little girl had to do just to get to the point they saw her at. I didn't tell them that I live in fear of the constant hunger of PWS coming and claiming my angel.

No, I lied and pretended that we live in the "normal" world and it felt good for the time.

And when they told me she was beautiful, I knew that she was. But, she's so much more than that because of the rough road she's already traveled and the unknown road ahead that we all will travel together.

I only need to pretend to be like everyone else for a little while. It helps me and reminds me to be thankful for all Kaylee has accomplished. My mother said sometimes you have to tell a little white lie when the truth doesn't serve any good purpose and yesterday was that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment